Pre and Post-Op Instructions
General care instructions following dental procedures:
- Proper Care of Blood Clot: For one hour, maintain gentle pressure by biting on the gauze sponge that has been placed over the surgical area. If needed, replace gauze with another as provided.
- Do Not Rinse or use a mouthwash for at least 48 hours, but brush carefully.
- Pain: Following dental surgery, discomfort should be controlled by the medication prescribed. Follow the directions. If pain persists, simply call us here at the office. Your comfort is important to us.
- Toothbrush: Use it carefully but thoroughly. A clean mouth heals faster.
- Eating, Drinking, and Smoking: Avoid alcoholic beverages, and avoid smoking until healing is well established. Adequate food and fluid intake following surgery is important. Do not consume liquids through a straw. If your regular diet is too difficult, you may supplement it with liquids. Should you find yourself unable to chew solid foods of any kind, call us.
- Avoid All Excessive Activity: Do not do things that will raise your blood pressure. Go home and lie at 45-degree angle, but not below.
- Sutures: If sutures were used in your treatment, be sure to return for their removal on the appointment given.